What's the best breed for your family and why?

Get to the point.

What's the best breed for your family and why?

Postby AnnabellaKennels » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 pm

I love all of the pointing dog breeds. I have owned GSP's, Brittanys and even an english pointer. I have hunted behind setters, weims, vizslas, wirehairs,and even braccos. In my situation (I have six kids) some breeds seemed a little rowdy around kids. Maybe it was poor training or something I did wrong. But, it didn't take long before my kids were afraid to be around the shorthairs and pointers. The answer for my family was the American Brittany. The smaller size was less intimidating for my younger children and the softer nature seemed to jive with the family setting. Now my kids are getting more confident and enjoy being around my dogs again. And I have no complaints in the field.

What pointing dog breed works best for your family? What are the strong points?

If I was single, I think I would have an english pointer. They just look amazing in the field.
AnnabellaKennels

Re: Best pointing dog breeds for families

Postby whitetailhunter99 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Glad I logged on and read this. I recently put a deposit down on a Brittany after over 6 months of research and debate on what to get. Family pet was certainly a consideration, but so was performance in the field. I went back and forth between GSP and Brittany, and also considered Labs, but looks like I made a good decision. Thanks.
whitetailhunter99

Postby meonebighunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 pm

I thought I would share my thoughts on a great breed for a family. I had a french brittany until she was stolen from me. She was a great family dog and a great dog in the field. I have since gone with a wirehaired pointing griffon and couldn't be happier. She is an even better family dog than my french brittany and hardly sheds. I am hoping she will be half as good as my french brittany was in the field. I don't think you could go wrong with the brittany though.
meonebighunter

Postby wolvmarine » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:55 pm

I have to agree with meonebighunter. The French Brittany needs to be a member of the family first and foremost. Hunting comes second. They are very sensitive and even raising your voice upsets them. Of course as I am typng this my 7 month old English Setter is nestled into my arm. It has been a long time since I've introduced a human child to the pack - Before the baby came home from the hospital I did bring a baby blanket home first and let the dog get acustomed to the baby's scent. Which kind of brings up a funny story. About 8 month laters Sydney and I were going through her normal routine where I'd give her a "cookie" and she'd go to the cornor of the kitchen and munch on it at her leisure. This time she came into the living room a few minutes later and was wimpering. I said here is your cookie? She turned and beckoned me to follow. My young son had taken it from her and was gumming it for all he was worth.
wolvmarine

Postby RangeViewKennels » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Wow!
I think that every personality would gravitate to a different type of dog. I don’t think you can say that one dog is better than another.

I have owned many breeds and each has positives and negatives(Like us). I think that most all dogs (there are some exceptions) are a product of their environment. From a hunting aspect, each breed has its own unique set of issues. As a trainer of pointing breeds I can also tell you each dog no matter what the breed has its own personality. I believe that these are also shaped by their environment. Some show up here and have been in a kennel most of their life. Others have been part of a family setting. Both can have effects on personality. Most dogs that have problems lack discipline. All dogs want discipline and structure in their life. It’s our responsibility and charge to give that to them. Something that is taken too lightly sometimes.

The shorthair kind of got a bashing in this thread. I can tell you that as I sit here typing, I have 3 trying to climb up into my lap and soon the four of us will hit my bed. I breed, raise, train and sell shorthairs. Although primarily hunting companions, some to people who only want a companion dog.

The German Shorthair Pointer is the best dog for me and my family.
So maybe the thread title should be “What's the best breed for your family and why?”
What I will tell you is this; find the best breed for you, make him/her your best friend and love him/her and they will love you back 10 fold. Guaranteed!
Whoever said you can’t buy happiness never had a new puppy!
RangeViewKennels

Re: What's the best breed for your family and why?

Postby AnnabellaKennels » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Edited the subject of this thread. Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to bash shorthairs. They are a favorite of mine and the reason I got into pointing dogs in the first place. Arguably the german shorthaired pointer is the most versatile of the versatile breeds. But, at this phase of my life with 6 kids under the age of 12 a softer, smaller dog is just the ticket.

So the thread continues with the proper title now "What's the best breed for your family and why?"
AnnabellaKennels

Postby FrogHollows » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:09 am

For our family it's hands down the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Not only are they excellent hunters they are fantastic family pets. They are wonderful with my parents who are in their late 80's to our granddaughter Ella and she is 3 1/2, plus everyone in between. As we say the Griffs are my in the field and my wife's in the house! Can't beat the WPG, just look at our male Gunther (6.5) and Ella!
Attachments
PICT0794.JPG
PICT0794.JPG (164.9 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
FrogHollows

Postby RangeViewKennels » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:54 am

AnnabellaKennels wrote:Edited the subject of this thread. Don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to bash shorthairs. They are a favorite of mine and the reason I got into pointing dogs in the first place. Arguably the german shorthaired pointer is the most versatile of the versatile breeds. But, at this phase of my life with 6 kids under the age of 12 a softer, smaller dog is just the ticket.

So the thread continues with the proper title now "What's the best breed for your family and why?"

I knew what you meant and I wasn’t offended or anything like that. I just could see a thread starting up with what’s the best pointing dog.
On most days, it could be anyone of them. All these dogs are athletes and like all athletes, some days they are better than others and some days they are on fire.
If someone is looking for the best pointing dog, they need to look for the best one for them. The best dog for them may not even be a pointer.
Choose carefully as you are looking at a 15 year commitment. Another aspect that sometimes is taken too lightly.
P.S. I also have one hard headed (Stereotype) English Pointer that I love to death.
RangeViewKennels

Postby RangeViewKennels » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:56 am

FrogHollows wrote:For our family it's hands down the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Not only are they excellent hunters they are fantastic family pets. They are wonderful with my parents who are in their late 80's to our granddaughter Ella and she is 3 1/2, plus everyone in between. As we say the Griffs are my in the field and my wife's in the house! Can't beat the WPG, just look at our male Gunther (6.5) and Ella!

Great pic!
RangeViewKennels

Postby Big Sky Brits » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:24 pm

I've been around pointing dogs most of my life and training them for about 24 years now. I had Irish Setters back when they were a very respectable hunting dog and applaud the efforts of those trying to bring them back. I've owned English Setters, GSPs, GWPs and have been breeding American Brittanies for about 10 years now. I've trained numerous pointing breeds and the one common denominator that I've seen in all of them over the past quarter century is the basic gravitation and genetic refinement towards a more intellegent, driven and trainable dog while maintaining a dog that is loyal, biddable, eager to please and is willing to bond within a family atmosphere.

Today's pointing dog breeders (with a few unscrupulous exceptions, a topic for another day...) have come to realize the importance of maintaining or carefully improving on the integrity of previous breeders. I've noticed that today's buyers do alot of breed oriented research and ask a lot of good questions before making the commitment to a puppy of any pointing breed. We here at Big Sky Brits Kennels, LLC (http://www.bigskybrits.com) also do interviews of potential clients to make sure that there is a life long commitment to our pups and that they are going to a home where they may realize their potential as a hunting and or field trial dog as well as a companion.

However, I've also seen numerous unfortunate situations where people were unprepared for how much energy today's pointing breed athletes have and dogs that are not routinely excersized become destructive and these dogs end up in shelters or are abandoned. I would say to anyone wanting to buy a performance oriented dog for their family to be sure you have the adequate time and access to space to keep that pup/dog content and happy.

P.S. Brittany Pups Available Now!!! (406) 580-2703
Big Sky Brits

Next

Return to Pointing Dogs