Bird Hunter with Allergic Wife

Get to the point.

Bird Hunter with Allergic Wife

Postby jswallingford » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 am

Hi Everybody,

I'm not a breeder, just a potential customer. I am an avid pheasant hunter and I decided to start looking for a pointer of my own. However, I have an interesting problem in that my wife is allergic to dogs. Does anyone know if someone has created a cross with a pointer/poodle that would be the equivalent to a labradoodle, or better yet, an F1B labradoodle, but with a pointer?

If a cross breed doesn't exist or is unrealistic, can poodles be trained to be effective pointers?

Any and all input about finding a allergy friendly pointer would be much appreciated!

Jim
jswallingford

Re: Bird Hunter with Allergic Wife

Postby kninebirddog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:43 am

Build a kennel.

Do not waste your money on an over priced Mutt. I have seen a few of these doodle dogs and not a one made a good hunting dog only thing they will hunt is a bowl of food...they are just novelty pets.

as for which sheds less..They all shed and shorter coated dogs shed twice as much short hair but because it is shorter it is not as noticed...Try travelling with a bunch you will see real quick which dogs shed more.

But By kenneling the dog out side maybe on the side of the house if possible then the wife will not have as much problems with the allergy issues

PS when you do anything with the dog change your clothes before hugging ;)
kninebirddog

Postby arcticretrievers » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I agree, dont buy a mutt, but Poodles (standard) CAN be trained o be good pointers, after all Labs were originally flushers, until people started making them point, I have a few hunting poodle contacts, you can PM me if your interested.
arcticretrievers

Postby arrowptr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:55 am

My son is allergic to dogs and we bought a German Shorthair several months ago and have had no issues. I did not realize this but they are non hypoallergenic....see this link http://www.ehow.com/facts_6744099_hypoa ... -dogs.html
arrowptr

Postby Trainwreck » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:55 am

I was in the same boat a few years back... needed a hypoallergenic pointer (if there is such as thing). Looked at the "doodles" as a possible solution but was told by many knowledgeable people that I wouldn't like the hunting outcome. Ended up with a wirehaired pointing griffon as they are no/low shed dogs. Very happy with the choice both in the house and out in the field. They may be worth a look.

Good luck.
Attachments
IMG_2264a.jpg
IMG_2264a.jpg (187.27 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Trainwreck

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Trainwreck wrote:I was in the same boat a few years back... needed a hypoallergenic pointer (if there is such as thing). Looked at the "doodles" as a possible solution but was told by many knowledgeable people that I wouldn't like the hunting outcome. Ended up with a wirehaired pointing griffon as they are no/low shed dogs. Very happy with the choice both in the house and out in the field. They may be worth a look.

Good luck.

Nice picture. Where is your Griffon from ?

GriffMan
Aspen Glo Kennel home of Wirehaired Pointing Griffons

www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN

Postby friendlyhunter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Hello just wanted to give an opinion i am looking for a bird dog also and have the same problem i am in ontario canada and there is a kennal here that they breed pudelpointers they are a cross .
pointer and poodle they have been crossed back in the 1800s take a look at them i dont now to much about them still looking into it my self
friendlyhunter

Return to Pointing Dogs